The Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) Foundation & Practitioner Combined Course provides an opportunity to learn how MSP can be applied to real live programmes and it prepares participants for the MSP Practitioner examination.
This combined course aims to confirm that a candidate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the MSP guidance to act as an informed member of a programme management team. That is, someone responsible for managing, leading, supporting or advising on work within an MSP environment.
Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) was developed as a best practice guide on Programme Management. The guide comprises a set of Principles and a set of Processes for use when managing a program. MSP represents proven programme management best practice in the successful delivery of transformational change through the application of programme management. MSP is very flexible and designed to be adapted to meet the needs of local circumstances.
Newly appointed programme managers who may have a background in managing projects, but have not previously operated in a transformational change environment.
Senior managers who will “sponsor” the change, or perhaps be held accountable for its success.
Operational managers charged with embedding the change in their area.
Operational staff undertaking a role in the programme or related projects.
Programme office staff (PMO) wishing to build upon their project management knowledge.
Experienced project managers.
Those seeking a professional qualification in programme management.
At the end of this course, participants will gain competencies in / the ability to:
● Understand the principles and structure of MSP.
● Understand the benefits of a structured method in a changing environment.
● Explain the MSP process model.
● Understand the MSP themes.
● Draft a Programme brief and Vision Statement.
● Propose a Programme organisation structure.
● Engage with stakeholders at all levels.
● Understand the vision and the blueprint and how they can be applied to the best advantage.
● Apply progress control mechanisms.
● Appreciate the principles of programme level quality and risk management.
● Realize the importance of configuration management
● Identify additional value as a result of managing the described change as an MSP programme.
● Explain each of the MSP principles, the governance themes and the transformational flow activities.
● Explain the relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes, the transformational flow, programme information (documents) and the MSP defined programme management roles; and apply that understanding.
● Apply each of the MSP principles, governance themes and transformational flow processes.
● Produce or evaluate examples of MSP programme information (documents).
● Identify activities that should be undertaken during each of the processes of the transformational flow, together with the accountabilities and responsibilities of each of the defined roles.
● Understand which management products are input to, output from, and updated in each of the six transformational flow processes.
● Pass the Practitioner exam.
Delegates should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory; some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
The MSP Foundation exam consists of:
75 multiple-choice questions
Candidates require a minimum of 35 correct answers (50%) to pass
The MSP Practitioner exam consists of:
Eight questions, each worth 10 marks each. Total of 80 marks.
“Objective Test Examination” format—a complex, multiple-choice examination.
Two and a half hours duration.
Delegates may use their official MSP manual, “Managing Successful Programmes” (only).
Candidates require a minimum of 40 marks (50%) to pass.
Please note that candidates must pass the foundation exam before attempting the practitioner exam. By successfully passing the practitioner exam, delegates attain “Registered Practitioner” status.
This program includes cost of both Exams.